Labor Limbo
Oct 2 - 4: Contracting and dilated 6-7cm, everyone debating if I should stay at the hospital or go home
Oct 5: Decision made with our obgyn to stay at the hospital on bed rest (due to high blood pressure, threat of quick delivery, and hope of getting me past wk37 and keeping the babies out of the NICU)
Oct 7: Agreed on a date with the obgyn to get induced...October 12th it is!
Oct 8-11: Contracting off and on and still dilated at 6-7 cm
Actual Labor
Oct 12 9:00 AM: Started IV
Oct 12 9:45 AM: Received epidural and pitocin
Oct 12 10:30PM: Doctor breaks water on Hannah and puts monitor on her head
Oct 12 12:30PM: Measured at 8.5 cm. Increased pitocin and decreased epidural (things were finally moving, but not fast enough and I wasn't feeling enough)
Oct 12 2:00 PM: Finally at almost 10 cm! We head down to the operating room (OR 2), and Jay puts on his scrubs
Oct 12 2:10 PM: Our crew of 12 doctors and nurses are ready, and pushing begins
Oct 12 2:36 PM: Hannah arrives!
Oct 12 2:42 PM: Leah arrives!

And so the actual labor itself was closer to 5 hours, during most of which I didn't feel much do to the wonder and amazement that is the epidural. We brought the girls home on Oct 14 (Wednesday), and since then have been trying get organized and get things done around the house before they turn into "real babies". For now, they spend most of their time sleeping, eating, and pooping...but mostly sleeping. They wake up every three hours or so, though last night I bolted awake just before 2AM and realized it had been over four hours since they last ate so I actually had to wake them up. (like I said, we're still waiting for the real babies to arrive). Joseph is doing good, and so far hasn't noticed a change to his world other than the awesome present that his baby sisters gave him on their first day home. The Home Depot Deluxe Workstation has been a big hit with big brother, and each morning when he wakes up he asks if he can "go to work" (translation: Can I go to the basement and play with my new toy?) Jay and I are doing good too, getting back into the swing of washing bottles and swaddling newborns. It's still a bit difficult for me to move around due to all the swelling in my feet (none of my shoes fit) and muscle pain in my back (something Jay can totally sympahtize with) but I'm hoping in a few weeks that will all go away. And the girls are doing great...they had their first appointment with the pediatrician today with Leah weighing in at 6lbs 2oz and Hannah at an even 6lbs.
3 comments:
Hannah is not bigger than Leah...it just looks that way because the camera is at an angle to get both of their faces...I can't seem to get both of them to look straight ahead at the same time. ;)
Thanks for the play-by-play! Thinking of you often. You could do what Andi and Brian do with their boys: the one whose name starts with L is always on the left :) How are you telling them apart right now?
We try to put Leah on the left as much as possible, but our main method will be that Leah is always in a 'L'ighter color of clothing. and as a last resort, Hannah's big toe nails are painted red. :)
Post a Comment