Sunday, January 09, 2011

Weekend in a Not So Nutshell

Friday late afternoon/early evening I had a drink with friends after work at the Water Street Brewery they opened in Grafton, as Jay was having fun working on his year end review, and we both met at home with the kids as light snow was falling. We were greeted with shoveled sidewalks as our neighbor Henry had made the rounds before we had a chance (very nice...we love our neighbors), so we ran inside to get the kids set up for a quick dinner (which for us usually means chicken nuggets and veggies). Then Joseph and I headed across the alley to the neighbors behind us (he played with Ruthie while I enjoyed wine with John and Tiana) and Jay put the girls to bed and fired up the ole xbox. After Joseph was home and in bed at 8, Jay and I caught up on some football and tv. Saturday morning we had the usual breakfast, and Joseph and I ventured out to the library. Picked out a few movies, more than a few books, and just when I thought we were headed to the grocery store, Joseph decided to get frustrated. And so everyone in the children's section at the library got to enjoy our lovely argument over whether or not the book we agreed was the last book was really the last book and everyone in the parking lot probably wondered if the screaming child was getting tortured by some maniac or just being an upset three year old. And so we arrived back home with socks and shoes thrown about the car (Joseph's, not mine) and I ventured out to the store with Leah later that afternoon. I can't say I've ever taken one of the girls with me on errands, Joseph is usually so excited to go and they spend the majority of their time sleeping or eating, so I thought it would be a nice treat. She was super excited to get her coat on and ride in a different car seat (mayhaps her first time in the 4Runner?) but she was completely quiet and expressionless at the grocery store. Which is great right? Though disappointing to me of course, as I was expecting excitement and amusement. She only took her shoes off once (and I noticed so was able to save them) and attempted to crawl out of the cart just a few times towards the end (why I always have to circle the store for at least two things on the list and why there was no one to bag my groceries on a saturday I do not know. All and all it went well but since it didn't wow her next time it will be Hannah's turn. Jay and I had skyline chili for dinner (I thought it was disgusting for the first few years I knew Jay but now I love a good three-way), all the kids had baths, and after Joseph was winding down with some games on the computer (nick jr of course) I joined up with a few neighbors to head across the street for a quick stop in at a party. (gatherings and drinks are a bit of a theme in our hood) This morning we woke up to both girls crusted in boogers, but we all still enjoyed Jay's pancakes which included the letter J and a moose (Tyrone from Backyardigans). The girls have mostly napped, but Jay took Joseph to his first hockey game downtown at the Bradley Center. Joseph was just a little excited. He actually thought they were going to see the Penguins but we kept setting him straight. Didn't really matter who it was so long as their was popcorn and apple juice (the free hats were nice too). Pretty great idea Jay had actually, though it could have gone either way since it was during nap time. Now we're all hanging out in the basement and enjoying our last few hours of the weekend.....if only they didn't go by so fast!

No comments: