Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Doesn't this come in Khaki?


Let me just say that registering for a baby is quite different than registering for a wedding. I don't recall feeling like a complete moron while picking out items for our home that time around, but baby products are clearly not my forte. Definitely a good thing that I went with my mom and my sister because if it were Jay and I, we would have both been pretty agitated at the end of the day (as it takes much patience and experience to complete such an activity.) It took about 3 hours to make it through the Babies R Us and knock off most of the items on my list of "must haves" and recommendations from cousins and friends. It was more difficult that I thought it would be to find bedding and other big items that didn't look completely hiddeous to me (seriously, no offense to everyone out there that loves loud rainbow colors and pink ribbons and animals bouncing all over the place but even as far back as grade school that wasn't my style.) At the end I was left wondering, why doesn't Calvin Klein make khaki inspired baby bedding? For those of you thinking I'm completely nutso, let me clarify that I have nothing against cute fuzzy stuffed animals, noisy toys, or colorful baby clothes, my issue is only with the furniture and decorative items that will become permanent fixtures in our home. But don't worry, the baby won't be completely deprived of color. We are going to replace the taupe walls in the baby room with a lovely shade of light green. And after many hours of searching online, Jay and I did find a mix of green/yellow/white/blue bedding that we actually like at Potterybarn Kids. And once we found the bedding I of course became completely obsessed with it. The matching star sheets had been discontinued and since there was no way on earth we were going to find a different set of bedding after all that searching and debating, and I couldn't possibly be content with just green bedding after having seen the lovely star pattern, I had Jay go out on eBay to purchase the discontinued sheets. (I actually never used eBay before, and now I'm completely sold on it.) And so we have registered at the baby giant Babies R Us and the fashionable Potterybarn Kids. Now I can relax and enjoy some turkey and pie.

6 comments:

April said...

Pottery Barn, huh? Nice color scheme! I can't wait to see it next month ;-)

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving in MN and are getting home safely. I'm getting so excited to see you both and rub that belly! I'm hoping to feel some kicks too...are you feeling any yet?

April said...

What do all the letters on your registery spell?

Jessica said...

Ah you couldn't solve zee puzzle? ;) Actually it looks like they have double the quantities showing...their website is whack. But anyhoo, the problem is now corrected and they will spell "good night" in Italian. buona notte!

Ms. Lu said...

Okay, I have recommendations from my very own sister's rantings in search of yuppy baby decor.

Yes, PotteryBarn. But also check out Jacadi for all things baby decor and my sister is part of the Petite Bateau (near cult) following for quality knit clothing for kids. Both are online.

There's another one too that she loooooooovves for furniture that transitions throughout childhood. Let me find out what that is as you make your furniture purchases.

April said...

What a cool idea! Starting a second language already, eh?

Anonymous said...

The Ohio Conways are perplexed that Scarlet and Gray (Go BUCKS) or Black and Gold (Go STEELERS) weren't considered for the nursery!! ;-)