Monday, February 17, 2014

Olympic Spirit

We've all got the Olympic spirit and still enjoying winter activities (if it weren't for the Olympics I'd be just about done with it.  Another 5 inches of snow today and another epic energy bill from all the freezing temps, but that's what happens when your kitchen is a three season porch!)  I went cross country skiing for the first time in years, fell a few times on the same hill but I can still do it. (amazing what skills stay with you...thanks Mom and Dad!)  I stuck with the classic style, and after seeing how fast the skate style folks were going I'm glad I made that choice. Though I would like to try it...maybe next year.  I haven't decided to take up shooting but who knows, I could be the next big biathlete (NOT).  Joseph and Jay both got hockey sticks so that they could practice outside of class.  We went downtown to red arrow park on a morning when no one was there and they got to pass the puck around for quite a while since Leah and I had to drive back to our house to get one of her skates.  (yes, I packed the bag up with all of our gear ahead of time and still somehow managed to leave one skate behind.  Good thing we only live 15 min away).  Hannah wants to know when she gets white ice skates (because that's what all the girls on tv wear), and she and Leah call who gets which dance outfit each time the girls go onto the ice to compete.  They do the same thing with books and movies, and there have been some pretty big arguments over the two of them both trying to be Elsa (Frozen) or Goldilocks.  Even watching skiing and snowboarding they call "I'm red" and 'I'm green", and Joseph and Hannah have asked when they can learn to go down hills.  I told Jay I thought we could take them next year, either try a lesson at one of the ski hills nearby or just take them cross country on our own at a state park, and he looked at me like I had two heads and three eyeballs.   I guess they won't be biathletes either. ;)


No comments: