Saturday, January 14, 2012

Snow Behavior

Apparently Snow = Good Behavior at the Conway house. At least upon it's arrival. Friday morning I awoke fairly early to shovel before the kids were up (though I did hear noises coming from the girl's room), and when they saw all the snow on the ground they were extremely excited and motivated. When I said listen, they listened. When I said stop crying, they stopped. When I asked Joseph to get his shoes and coat on while I scraped off the car, he did. And miracle of miracles, when I dropped them off at daycare, no one had a fit. The girls went straight to their room, and Leah waved "bye bye mommy", and Joseph hung up his coat, waited for me to meet up with him, and went straight to a table to color after giving me a big hug and kiss. (apparently this is "normal" for when Jay drives, but almost never happens when I drive). I then went home to return to the shoveling, in quite a good mood. If having new snow on the ground gets the kids to do that every morning for me, I'll take it every day! (well, at least until march. at that point the snow isn't nearly as exciting anymore). All three of the kids seem to enjoy snowballs and watching for snow from the windows, but Leah it seems does not actually like being in the snow. She would prefer to stand on the sidewalk, laugh, watch, toss a handful of snow or two, while Joseph and Hannah go full throttle running down hills, laying on their backs, falling all over the place. I am pretty sure it is that Leah does not like being cold, and also gets a bit scared. She doesn't think it's funny to fall or to have her mitten fall off. But she loves watching her brother and sister go crazy, so she still has a good time. The snow did not however, turn the girls back into obedient bed timers. I can't figure out what gets them to stay in bed, and what causes them to act like crazy little giggle monsters. One night I actually thought they had gone to bed, and then later when I checked on them found Leah asleep on Hannah's bed (with Hannah, was actually very cute but I was afraid the flash of the camera would wake them up!). Thursday night the girls even went so far as to open their door and stand in the hallway, though that time someone had pooped, and I guess I understand not wanting to sleep in that all night long. So I changed them and then sat in their room for 15 minutes waiting for them to quiet down. Not so bad except that it was about 9pm at that point, which is pretty late at our house. Keeping them up later doesn't seem to help, baths don't do the trick, and when I tried music (that's what they use at school) I found the CD clock unplugged from the wall, in Leah's bed, and the CD on the floor by the door. Again, kind of funny, other than when you are actually in the moment. And I know the subject is snow, so I'll mention that Thursday night when we were in the middle of the snowfall, I couldn't get into our driveway, and after shoveling and making several attempts (while the kids were enjoying Kids Live Radio in the car....favorites include "I think I'm a Bunny", "The Leftover Song", and "Yeah Toast") I decided to go back onto the street and enter our alley from the other end, which worked! Well Joseph remembered this, and Friday on our way home, said "Mom, remember, you need to go to our house the other way so we don't get stuck". What a nice kid!

No comments: